Cooking Together events are a fresh take on a night out – When Manchester High School for Girls and Altrincham Grammar 6th Form got together they made Prawn Fritters, Patatas Bravas and Garlic Chicken Pinchos – working in pairs the girls discussed and agreed flavours guided by Chef Jason Palin. Each pair had a dish to their palate which they enjoyed sitting around our affable table.
Everyone left having learnt new skills confident and proud of their cooking prowess, ready to recreate the dishes at home.
As a reminder here’s the crib sheet of what we cooked.
Preparation time – 20 minutes, Cooking time – 10 minutes approx., Feeds – 4 depending on how hungry you are!
- 140g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 125 ml milk
- 2 tbsp yellow or red Thai curry paste
- 140g tinned or frozen sweetcorn (make sure they’re defrosted)
- Small bunch spring onions – chopped
- Small bunch coriander leaves – chopped
- 140g cooked prawns
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Put the flour and baking powder into a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Whisk in the eggs until you have a thick, smooth batter.
- Stir in the curry paste and then add the sweetcorn, spring onions, coriander and prawns.
- Heat up a few tbsps of oil into a large non-stick frying pan. To test if it is hot enough, drop a small blob of mixture into the pan. If it sizzles straight away, then it is hot enough.
- Fry large spoonfuls of the batter at a time in batches. They will take about 2 to 3 minutes on each side to turn golden and cook through.
- Keep covered with foil in a low oven to keep them warm.
- Serve with sweet chilli sauce.