Nikkei food is best described as Peruvian Ingredients cooked using Japanese techniques. Peru has more than a million residents of Japanese ancestry and these influences combined with ingredients as varied as it’s spectacular terrain, Nikkei fusion delivers a visual and mouth watering delight.
Don Ceviche, LomoSaltado Beef, lime Wasabi Slaw, Sweet Potato Flatbread
Don Ceviche rolled Uramaki style
Ingredients – serves 4
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 500g seabass fillets, skinned
- Handful of chopped coriander
- 1 red chilli sliced
- 1 sweet potato, cooked, cubed
- Pomegranate seeds for garnish
- Tiger’s milk:
- 5cm ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 4x lime juice
- 1tbsp orange juice
- 5tsp mirin
- 0.5tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp soy sauce
- Start preparing the tiger’s milk dressing/curing liquid first. Place chopped ginger, crushed garlic and lime juice in a suitable bowl and leave to infuse for 15minutes. Pass the juice and whisk through all the other ingredients, set aside for now.
- Soak super thinly sliced red onion in iced water for 10 minutes, pass and drain on a kitchen towel, place in the fridge. This will keep the onion really crispy while reducing its strength.
- Cut the fish into little cubes 2x2cm or similar. Place into a mixing bowl, sprinkle with salt. Leave for 3 minutes. Salt will help to open the pores of the sliced fish and it will absorb the tiger’s milk better.
- Add the dressing now, leave it for about 3 minutes to ‘cook’. Add coriander, chilli, sweet potatoes and sliced onions and mix gently.
- Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
How to cook sushi rice
Use good quality Japanese rice
- 1 sushi roll needs about 100g of uncooked rice
- You can soak sushi rice before rinsing for 20 minutes for more tender grains
- Rinse at least 4 times under running cold water, until it runs clear
- Rice to water ratio: 1:2…Precisely 250g of rice: 330g of water
- Place in a pan, cold, medium heat, no lid at this point, waiting to start simmer
- After bubbles appear, place the lid on your pan and simmer for 10 minutes
- Turn off the heat after 10 minutes and let rest for 30 minutes longer, do not remove the lid
- Add seasoning and chill well in a refrigerator before using
Lomo Saltado – Peruvian beef stir-fry with Japanese twist
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 350g of fillet steak cut into chunky strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 new potatoes, par-boiled and halved
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1tsp white miso paste
- 1tbsp of sticky teriyaki
- 1tbsp of light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, de-seeded and chopped
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Handful of chopped parsley
- 1 lemon
- Oil for stir frying
First, we make the marinade. In a bowl, mix together sesame oil, teriyaki, soy and miso, dilute down with a splash of water. Toss your steak through the marinade and leave refrigerated for up to 2hours, any longer than that and the meat will start to get cured slowly by sugar and salt in sauces.
Place a large wok on medium-high heat and add a splash of oil.
Sauté red onion until translucent, followed by garlic, add potatoes and get some colour on them.
Red pepper comes after that, sauté for a couple of minutes.
Scoop all the ingredients to one side of your wok, add splash of oil and drop in the steak to cook for a minute on each side, keeping leftover marinade.
Add half of your chilli, coriander, parsley, lemon zest and juice, mix together and add leftover juice, reduce down for a minute on high heat and serve immediately.
Garnish with chopped chilli, coriander, parsley and some mixed sesame seeds.
Wasabi, pomegranate slaw
Ingredients – Serves 2
- Handful of chopped white cabbage
- 2x spring onion, sliced
- 1x tomato, de-seeded, diced
- ½ lemon juice
- ½ tsp of wasabi paste
- 1 tbsp of Japanese mayo
- 1 tbsp of chopped coriander
- Pinch of salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp of pomegranate seeds
Place chopped cabbage in a bowl with salt and massage it together for a couple of minutes, until cabbage feels softer and some juices are released.
Add all the rest of the ingredients, mix together thoroughly and correct the seasoning, being careful with salt as we have used some in previous step
Sweet potato flatbread
Ingredients – makes 6 flatbreads
- 1cup sweet potatoes, cooked
- 2cups of plain flour
- Mix all ingredients above in a mixing bowl. Make sticky dough, flour your bench and roll until thin.
- Cook for 1 minute on each side in a hot non-stick frying pan, without any oil.
An alternative to Jalapeño slaw, we didn’t make this on the class but makes a tasty alternative.
Ingredients – serves 6
- 150g carrot
- 350ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1x onion, sliced
- 1x red onion, sliced
- 3x garlic clove, sliced
- 150ml white wine
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- 30g coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 pinch of saffron
- 1x lemon zest and juice
- Slice the carrots 1mm thick at a 45-degree angle, using a mandolin if you have one. Put the carrot slices into a heavy-based pan, add 100ml of the olive oil and cook gently for 5 minutes, until they start to soften. Add the onions and garlic and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the onions have begun to soften.
- Add the white wine, vinegar, coriander seeds, saffron and the rest of the olive oil to the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 1/2 hours. Remove from the heat and leave to cool, then add the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.