We hope you enjoyed your Big & Little cooking together festive class. You made:
Roast Chicken with Honey & Thyme Carrots, Ginger Parsnips, Sauteed Savoy Cabbage and Roast Potatoes with a Cranberry Gravy.
Roast Chicken Dinner
Ingredients for 2
2 x Chicken Breast
2-3 x Carrots
2 x Parsnips
1/4 x Savoy Cabbage
2-3 x Maris Piper Potatoes
2 x Garlic Cloves
75g x Butter
3TBSP x Honey
1tsp x Ground Ginger
Thyme, Rosemary, Sage
Salt & Black Pepper
500ml x Beef Stock
2TBSP x Cranberry Sauce
1. Peel & chop the potatoes, transfer to a baking tray and drizzle with oil (vegetable, olive or rapeseed). Strip the leaves from one sprig of rosemary and chop fine, then sprinkle over the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper, and give everything a good mix together. Crush a garlic clove and add it to the tray, then bake at 180 until just golden and crisping up.
2. Peel the carrots, split lengthways and lay on a baking tray. Drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper and put into the oven beside the potatoes.
3. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, then add a drizzle of oil and rub it into the meat. Heat a saute or frying pan on a high heat and then sear the chicken on both sides until golden-brown but not cooked through. Remove from the pan to an oven tray.
4. Shred the cabbage, add some oil to the same pan over a medium heat and add the cabbage. Allow it to cook whilst you crush the remaining garlic into a paste using salt. Add the garlic to the pan along with some black pepper and stir occasionally. If the cabbage begins to catch, add a splash of water.
5. Peel the parsnips and cut lengthways. Add to the tray of almost-cooked carrots, add some oil if needed and season with salt, pepper and ground ginger. Put back into the oven for 10 minutes.
6. Place a sage leaf on each chicken breast, then cut the butter into three cubes. Place one on each leaf and save the third.
7. Put the chicken into the oven for 16 minutes, or until it reaches 75 degrees c in the middle.
8. Remove the cabbage from the pan and return it to a low heat. Add the butter. Once completely melted, stir in the flour. Once the butter and flour are incorporated, start to add the stock a bit at a time. Stir it into the flour and allow to thicken before adding more. This should take around 6- 8 minutes. When the sauce has a gravy-like consistency, allow it to simmer for another five minutes, then check the seasoning and add the cranberry sauce.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven to rest for 5 minutes. Drizzle the honey over the carrots and parsnips and return them to the oven, and warm the cabbage for a minute or two in the oven.
10. Once the chicken has rested, plate up the veg with the chicken on top and finish with teh gravy.
Ingredients for 2
4 x Digestive Biscuits
25g x Butter
1 x 165g tub of Philadelphia Cheese
150ml x Double Cream
Drop of Vanilla Extract
2TBSP x Caster Sugar
1/2 Punnet x Blueberries
1. Heat a pan on a medium heat. Add the blueberries and 1.5 TBSP of sugar. Coat the berries in the sugar, then add 2 TBSP of water. simmer until the berries begin to split, then transfer to a cold bowl and refrigerate.
2. Crush the biscuits into a fine crumb and melt the butter in a pan.
3. Stir the biscuit crumb through the butter until fully incorporated, then divide between two egg rings, bowls or glasses. Press the crumb firmly into the bottom and place in the fridge.
4. Whip the cream with the remaining sugar and vanilla extract until thick enough to hold peaks. Fold the cream cheese through the cream. Then fold half of the blueberry compote through the cream but leave it streaky.
5. Spoon the cream mix over the biscuit base and top with the remaining compote. Refrigerate until set. e