Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your evening and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
Menu: South East Asian broth with prawn dumplings, Vietnamese inspired Lime Caramel Fish, chocolate brownie.
South East Asian broth with prawn dumplings
Ingredients: Serves 4
- 8 uncooked medium king prawns (360g)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
16 wonton wrappers
- Asian broth with prawn dumplings
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock/vegetable stock
- 1 litre (4 cups) water
- 1/3 cup (80ml) light soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2-centimetre piece fresh ginger (10g), cut into matchsticks
- 350 grams of pak choi cut into 5cm lengths
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 fresh long red chilli, sliced thinly
- 1. To make prawn dumplings, shell and devein prawns; chop meat finely.
- 2. Combine prawns, garlic, sauces and sugar in small bowl. (Jason also suggests filling with vegetables of your choice, Chinese cabbage, herbs, carrots or roast chopped pork or chicken.)
- 3. Place one teaspoon of mixture into centre of each wrapper; brush around edges with a little water. Gather corners above filling; twist to enclose filling and form dumplings.
- 4. Combine stock, coconut milk, water, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger in large saucepan; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer broth, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add pak choi and half the onion.
- 5. Place dumplings into the simmering broth cook for 5 minutes
- 6. Divide dumplings among serving bowls; top with hot broth, remaining green onion and chilli.
Easy vegetable stock
Ingredients: Makes plenty to use and freeze
- 2 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 celery sticks
- 1 leek
- A few bay leaves
- A generous pinch of black peppercorns
- A small bunch of fresh parsley
- 1. Put the carrots, onions, celery sticks and leek, all roughly chopped, into a large pan with the bay leaves, black peppercorns and fresh parsley.
- 2. Fill the pan with water to cover well, then bring to a gentle simmer – the water should barely bubble.
- 3. Cook for 30 minutes to 1 hour, removing any scum that forms on the surface, then strain and set aside to cool. Divide among freezer bags, then freeze for up to 6 months.
Add coriander, basil, garlic, and or lemon grass for an Asian twist
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs or 160g Tofu, 160g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (optional) (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodle4
Red Rice or wild rice – Gao Da San
This rice as a wonderful texture, it’s basically an unpolished rice and as a great fibre content for the diet, it can be eaten hot or cold as a yummy salad side. Serve with fish meat poultry or on its own perfect.
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 140 grms Red Rice or wild rice (Rinsed)
- 250 ml of water
- 1 tbspTomato puree/katjup manis.
- 1. In a small saucepan bring the rice and water to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes until the water has been absorbed it’s fine to stir this rice. The rice should be soft yet with a slight chewy texture.
The above can also be Ketchup Red Rice – This is cooked exactly the same way but with the addition of sweet soya sauce or Ketjap Manis
Food Sorcery Chocolate Brownies
Ingredients – Makes: 24 brownies
- . ¾ cup (180g) unsalted butter
- . 8oz (250g) dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- . 4 large eggs
- . 1 ¼ cups (250g) granulated sugar
- . ½ cup (100g) light brown sugar
- . ¼ tsp salt
- . 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence
- . 1 cup (150g) plain flour
- . 8 oz (250g) milk chocolate, coarsely chopped.
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C gas 4 )
- 2. Butter and flour a 9x 13 inch (33 x 22 cm) baking pan.
- 3. Line with foil leaving pieces to foil overhanging the sides.
- 4. Place the butter and dark chocolate in a double boiler and stir over barely simmering water until melted, remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- 5. Beat the eggs and both sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until creamy, then with the mixer on low speed, beat in the salt and chocolate mixture, followed by the vanilla.
- 6. Gradually beat in the flour, stir in the milk chocolate and then spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- 7. Bake until the brownies are set in the middle, 25-30 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the centre will come out slightly gooey.
- 8. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Then use the overhanging foil to lift the brownies out of the pan.
- 9. Remove the foil and place on a cutting board. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 mins before cutting.
We hope you enjoyed the class!
We really hope you enjoyed your class at Food Sorcery. If you have any questions for chef please do ask and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
If you have the time it would be great if you could leave a review on Tripadvisor or google. If you have any feedback about the class please do let us know.
Review us on TripAdvisor or Google
Take a look at our classes online, booking is easy and you’ll be sent a confirmation email. Cookery gift vouchers are available and never expire.