Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your class and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
Starter: Seafood Mandu with Dipping Sauce;
Main: Korean Fried Chicken with Kimchi Fried Rice;
Dessert: Lemon Posset;
Ingredients – Serves 2:
For the wrappers (about 33 wrappers) – or use store bought ones:
- – 2cups plain flour (about 9 ounces/260 grams, more for dusting)
- – 1/2teaspoon salt
- – ⅔ cup water
For the filling:
- – 340 grams raw scallops, cleaned
- – 280 grams of napa cabbage
- – handful of garlic chives
- – 2 spring onions, sliced thinly
- – 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- – 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger or juiced
- – 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- – 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- – ½ teaspoon of gochugaru flakes
- – 1/2teaspoon of fish sauce
- – salt to taste about 1/4 teaspoon
- – pinch of pepper
- – Zest of 1 lime, keep the juice for the dipping sauce
For the wrappers:
- Add 2 cups of flour to a bowl. Dissolve 1/2 teaspoon of salt in ⅔ cup of water. Gradually add the water to the flour while mixing and checking the moisture level. Keep mixing by hand until the dough comes together, and knead with the heel of your hand until the dough is smooth bur slightly stiff. You can adjust the dough by kneading in a little more flour or more water.
- Cover with a plastic wrap, and let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour. After resting, the dough should feel soft and smooth. (This is a good time to start making the filling.)
- When ready to use, using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 4 long pieces on a lightly floured work surface. Roll each piece with both hands to make a thin log, 3/4 to 1-inch diameter. (Cover the remaining dough to keep it from drying out.)
- Cut each log into 3/4 to 1-inch pieces. Press the cut side with the thumbs to flatten to a small disk. Dust and roll out each disk with a small rolling pin to a thin 3.5-inch circle. (You can also use a round cutter or wine glass.) Make a few wrappers at a time and wrap the filling in. Always cover the dough and wrappers that are not being used.
For the filling:
Coarsely chop the scallops and pulse several times in a food processor. Finely chop the cabbage. Combine all the filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well by hand.
Place a tablespoon of the filling on a wrapper. You don’t need to wet the edges of the homemade wrapper. Seal tightly (pushing the air out with your fingers) into a half-moon shape. (You can add pleats if desired.) Dust the bottom of the dumpling with flour to keep it from sticking as the skin absorbs the moisture from the filling. Repeat this process until all the filling/wrappers are used.
Steam the dumplings for about 10 minutes in a steamer (longer if frozen). Make sure to line the steamer with a wet cheesecloth or paper towel to prevent the mandu from sticking.
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add mandu (stirring gently so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pot), a few at a time, and cook until all of them come up to the surface. Continue to cook for another minute or two.
Pan fry, heat the pan with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil over medium high heat. Add the dumplings, making sure they aren’t touching each other. Fry for 1 – 2 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Add 1/4 cup of water to the pan, and cover immediately with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium low, and steam for 4 to 5 minutes. If the dumplings are frozen, cook a little longer.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- – 1 tablespoon of ponzu
- – 1 teaspoon black vinegar
- – 1 tablespoon water
- – 1 tablespoon of honey
- – pinch of black pepper and/or gochugaru (red chili pepper flakes)
- – 1 clove of garlic, grated
- – 1cm of fresh ginger, grated
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
Korean Fried Chicken
Ingredients – Serves 2:
For the chicken:
- – 2x chicken breast, sliced
- – Large chunk of ginger, finely grated
- – 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- – 50g cornflour
- – Vegetable oil, for frying
- – Sesame seeds and sliced spring onion, to serve
For the sauce:
- – 2x piece of palm sugar
- – 3x tbsp of rice vinegar
- – 2 tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- – 2 tbsp soy sauce
- – 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- – Small piece ginger, grated
- – 2 tsp sesame oil
- – 1x shallot, diced
- – 1tsp of oil
- Heat a medium saucepan, add oil, sauté onion for 2 minutes, follow by garlic.
- Add all the other ingredients and simmer gently until syrupy, so around 3-4 mins. Take off the heat and set aside.
- Season the chicken wings with salt, pepper, and the grated ginger. Toss the chicken with the cornflour until completely coated.
- Heat about 2cm of vegetable oil in a largepan over a medium/high heat. Fry the chicken until crisp, turning halfway. Remove from the oil and place on kitchen paper. Leave to cool slightly (around 2 mins).
- Reheat the sauce and toss the crispy chicken in it. Tip into a bowl and top with the sesame seeds and sliced spring onions.
Kimchi Fried Rice
Ingredients – Serves 4:
- – 1tbsp of good quality oil
- – 3 cups of cooked basmati rice
- – 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- – 1 sliced red onion
- – 2 chopped spring onions
- – 1cup of kimchi
- – Handful of chopped coriander
- – 3 eggs, beaten
- – 1tbps soy sauce
- – 1tsp fish sauce
- Heat wok and add oil, onion and garlic, fry for 2 minutes. Throw in kimchi, spring onion, soy sauce and fish sauce and warm up.
- Add rice, toss around, mix well with the rest of the ingredients-push on the one side of the pan.
- Scramble the eggs on the second half of the wok, until medium-cooked. Mix with the rice and finish with copped coriander.
Ingredients – Serves 3-4:
- – 300ml of double cream
- – 60g caster sugar
- – 1 juicy lemon
- Squeeze the lemon.
- Bring the cream and sugar to the boil (careful it should just boil but not boil over). Once you see it boil – stay there and boil for exactly 3 minutes.
- Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the lemon juice.
- Strain this into a jug and leave to cool for 20minutes.
- If you wish to put a crumbled biscuit in the bottom of the receptacle – this is the time to do it. If not gently pour the cream into the glasses.
- Refrigerate for 6 hours minimum.
- Serve with fruit and edible flowers