Cooking Together Mexican Recipes
Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your class and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
- Starter: Elote Corn, Cheesy Beef Quesadilla;
- Main: Pork Taco al Pastor with Jalapeno, Pomegranate & Lime Slaw;
- Dessert: Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes are on the link below
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 1 corn on the cob
- – 2tsp of cream cheese
- – ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- – Sprinkle of coriander
- – Tablespoon grated parmesan
- – 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Heat your frying pan to high heat and then using tongs, turn occasionally until cooked through.
- Let cool down slightly and spread the cream cheese all over the corn, roll in parmesan and garnish with coriander, chilli flakes and finish with a little bit of lime juice
Cheesy Beef Quesadilla
Ingredients- serves 2
- – 200g of minced beef
- – salt
- – Freshly ground black pepper
- – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- – 1 onion, diced
- – 1 tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- – 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- – Optional- 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- – 1/4 c. chopped fresh coriander
- – 4 tsp. of veg oil
- – 4 large flour tortillas
- – 8 oz. shredded white Cheddar
- – 1 lime, cut into wedges
- – Sour cream, for serving
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat and sauté garlic and onion until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.Add the beef, cook it until caramelised and browned, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. . Add taco seasoning, tomato paste, 1 tbsp water and black beans; cook on medium-low for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in avocado and coriander.
- Warm a large non-stick pan over medium heat with 1 teaspoon oil. Place a flour tortilla in the pan and sprinkle half with cheese, beef mixture and more cheese. Fold tortilla over and fry lightly on both sides until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas. To save time, use two non-stick pans.
- Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with lime wedges and sour cream.
Quesadilla & Taco Dough
- – 185g plain or 00 flour – plus extra for dusting
- – 80ml of warm water
- – 25g of vegetable oil
- – 0.5tsp of baking powder
- – salt
- Add all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and start mixing with a fork…once it all combines, take the dough with your hand until it becomes a springy dough. If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour..if too crumbly, add a little more water.
- Set Aside – it doesn’t need to rest for long, but at least 15 minutes, you will make your tacos, burritos and quesadilla later.
Tacos – split dough into 6 balls, heat frying pan to high heat, while the temperature builds, sprinkle flour on clean work surface or board, and some on your rolling pin. Take a ball of dough, flatten into rough circle with your hand then roll until thin, keep turning and flipping over. Add 2 -3 tacos to your pan at a time and cook until you see the taco blister and char. Once both sides cooked, keep wrapped in tea towel – this softens the taco. Cook all your tacos and then you are ready to serve.
Burrito & Quesadilla – split dough into 2, roll out to desired size and cook as above. Cover and set aside.
Pork Taco al Pastor
Ingredients- serves 4
- – 1 pork tenderloin, whole, cleaned
- – 1/2 cup fresh pineapple juice or guava juice
- – juice of 1/2 lime
- – juice of 1/2 orange
- – 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- – 2 tbsp chipotle peppers
- – Annato seed, ground
- – 2 tbsp honey
- – 2 tsp smoked paprika
- – 2 tsp ancho chili powder
- – 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- – 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- – Olive oil for cooking
- – 1 red pepper, sliced
- – 1 red onion, sliced
- – Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
- – Handful of sun blushed tomatoes
- – 200g of chopped tinned tomatoes
- – 1tbsp of jalapenos
- – Salt and pepper to taste
- – 100g of fresh pineapple, diced
- Preheat the oven to 185C.
- First mix all of the spices together and split it in 50-50. First half will be for the marinade, second for the sauce.
- Next, we are going to marinade the pork: add a splash of oil in a mixing bowl, 2 cloves of minced garlic, salt and pepper and half of the spices and mix well.
- Coat the pork thoroughly, wrap the bowl in cling film and let marinade in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.
- Place a non-stick frying pan on medium-high heat and add a splash of oil.
- Sauté the pork until coloured all over and remove from the pan, set aside for now.
- Add a bit more oil into your pan and cook off the onion until caramelised, this will take roughly 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for one more minute, followed by the rest of the spices.
- This step is very important as not cooking your spices off will result in grainy sauce.
- You can add all of the tomatoes, pepper, pineapple juice, jalapeños, orange zest and juice, lime zest and juice.
- Bring to simmer, place the pork on top of the same, bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes, depending on size of the pork and required cooking temperature, rest and carve.
- – 1 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- – 1 tsp. garlic powder
- – 1 tsp. onion powder
- – 1 tsp. salt
- – 1 tsp. Black pepper
- – 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight contain.
Jalapeno, Pomegranate & Lime Slaw
Ingredients- serves 4
- – 1x lime zest and juice
- – 1tsp of caster sugar
- – 3tbsp of olive oil
- – 1x handful of chopped coriander
- – ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- – ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- – 1 plum tomato, diced
- – ½ cucumber, deseeded and diced
- – Handful pomegranate seeds
- – 1 carrot, grated
- – 1x shallot, sliced
- – 1 green chilli, sliced
- – 1tbsp of mayo (optional)
- In a bowl, combine sugar, lime zest and juice. Whisk until well combined and sugar has melted.
- Start stirring in the oil, gradually, still whisking.
- Add white and red cabbage, pinch of salt and pepper and roughly rub the marinade in, work with your hands until softened.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and correct the seasoning.
- We could use a tbsp. of mayonnaise or yoghurt for a creamy version of the slaw.
Tequila Syrup – Optional to Serve with your Dessert
- 100g sugar
- 100mls tequila
- 300g small diced pineapple
- 20g sliced mint
- Place all ingredients in a pan and cook until syrupy
Use the link above to explore the Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes