Mexican Cookery Class & Meal Recipes
Our cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your evening and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
- Fish tacos
- Beef quesatacos & dip
- Sweetcorn and jalapeno salsa
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 185g plain or 00 flour – plus extra for dusting
- – 20ml of olive oil
- – 80ml water
- – 0.5tsp of baking powder
- Add the flour, baking powder, olive oil & 80ml water to the mixing bowl, stir all together using a wooden spoon…once it all combines, take the dough with your hand until it becomes a springy dough. If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour..if too crumbly, add a little more water.
- Set Aside – it doesn’t need to rest for long, but you can wait until you need to cook. Then split into 3 – you will make your tacos, burritos and quesadilla later.
- Split dough into 8 balls, heat frying pan to high heat, while the temperature builds, sprinkle flour on clean work surface or board, and some on your rolling pin.
- Take a ball of dough, flatten into rough circle with your hand then roll until thin, keep turning and flipping over.
- Add 2 -3 tacos to your pan at a time and cook until you see the taco blister and char.
- Once both sides cooked, keep wrapped in tea towel – this softens the taco.
- Cook all your tacos and then you are ready to serve.
Burrito & Quesadilla: Split dough into 2, roll out to desired size and cook as above. Cover and set aside.
You can top your tacos with anything you like, we will make a couple of toppings, avioding the traditional gooey cheese and sour cream! Layer your preferred combination as you like – it’s easy to get carried away and overloaded, but that’s half the fun!
Shredded lettuce, cucumber, tomato, jalapeno chilli, cheese, sour cream, fresh coriander.
Sweetcorn and jalapeno Salsa
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 250g ripen tomatoes
- – 1/4 diced cucumber
- – ½ red peper, diced
- – Handful of sweet corn
- – 100g of pineapple, diced
- -1tbsp of chopped jalapeños
- – 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- – 1 lemon, zest and juice
- – 1 small red onion, diced
- – ¼ cup chopped parsley
- – ¼ cup chopped mint
- Place oil with lemon juice and zest in a bowl
- Add all the other ingredients Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Stand for at least 10 minutes to infuse all the flavours.
For the Fish:
- 200g white fish filets
- 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1tsp of paprika
- 1tsp of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 lime zest
For the fish taco sauce:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, optional
- 1/2 small head red onion, sliced with 1/2 lime squeezed over it
- 4 taco-sized tortillas
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped coriander
- Make the tortillas.
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lime juice, and hot sauce (if using) for the taco sauce. Stir until combined.
- Run the fish with chilli, lime, sea salt and a splash of oil. Heat a frying pan and cook for two minutes. Flip the fish and cook for another two minutes , or until it is flakey.
- Assemble the tacos with some of the sauce, the onions, avocado, tomato and the fish. Garnish with coriander and a drizzle of sauce.
Ingredients for 4
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1tbsp of coriander, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 small chillies, chopped
- 1. Halve and stone avocados, place in a bowl, smash it up roughly with a fork.
- 2. Add all the rest of the ingredients, season well and serve straight away.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 200g minced beef – for a vegetarian version use minced or finely chopped tofu
- – Salt to taste
- – Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- – 2 cloves garlic, minced
- – 1 onion, diced
- – 1 tbsp. Taco Seasoning
- – 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- – 1/4 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- – 1 avocado, pitted and diced
- – 1/4 chopped fresh coriander
- – 4 tsp of vegetable oil
- – 4 large corn tacos
- – 100g. shredded white cheddar
- – 1 lime, cut into wedges
- – Sour cream, for serving
- 1. In a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef, breaking up with a wooden spoon. If using Tofu, lightly fry. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté with garlic and onion until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add taco seasoning, tomato paste, 1 tbsp water and black beans; cook on medium-low for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and mix in avocado and coriander.
- 2.Warm a large non-stick pan over medium heat with 1 teaspoon oil. Place a flour tortilla in the pan and sprinkle half with cheese, beef (or tofu) mixture and more cheese. Fold tortilla over and fry lightly on both sides until cheese is melted. Repeat with remaining tortillas. To save time, use two non-stick pans.
- 3. Cut quesadillas into wedges and serve with lime wedges and sour cream.
Beef Consome Dip
- 2 ancho chili peppers
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Mexican oregano
- Ginger, ground
- 1 tsp peppercorns
- Tomato paste
- 400ml beef stock
- Lime Juice
- Finely dice the onion and add to a hot pan with some oil.
- Crush the garlic and add it to the pan.
- Add the cinnamon and bay leaves and saute until the onions caramalise
- Add the spices to the pan and toast for 30 seconds
- Add the tomato puree and fry for a minute
- Pour in the beef stock and bring to a rolling boil. Allow to reduce by 1/2 or until thickened
- Strain and finish with lime juice, chopped coriander, spring onions & chilli
Homemade Taco Seasoning
Ingredients – 1 Cup:
- – 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- – 1 tsp garlic powder
- – 1 tsp onion powder
- – 1 tsp salt
- – 1 tsp Black pepper
- – ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1. In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together. Store in an airtight container.