We hope you enjoyed your evening at the cookery school, Chorchaba loves to delight guests with her fabulous Thai dishes, of you have any questions for her please ask and we’ll get back to you.
Menu: Chicken Satay; Thai Red Curry; Pad Thai; Mixed Vegetable;
Chicken Satay with peanut sauce
Ingredients – serves 4:
- 500g chicken breast
- 125 mls coconut milk
- 1 tsp of galangal
- ½ tsp of cumin powder
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1 tbsp of lemongrass
- 2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tsp of salt
- Bamboo Skewers
Ingredients for peanut sauce
- 1 tsp of curry paste
- 375 mls of coconut milk
- 75g crushed peanuts
- 2 tspn salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp of tamarind juice
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- Slice chicken into thin strips
- Blend lemongrass, galangal, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a food processor or mortar & pestle to form a paste
- Put chicken in a large mixing bowl and add the paste, sugar, salt, and coconut milk. Stir thoroughly and leave to marinade for 30 minutes or longer.
- Make skewers by adding the chicken strips to the bamboo skewers. These are now ready to grill.
- Fry the curry paste in a pan with oil until aromatic.
- Add the coconut milk, peanuts, salt, sugar, tamarind juice to the paste and simmer until it forms a thick sauce.
- Serve grilled chicken with warm peanut sauce.
Thai Red Curry with Butternut Squash
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 300 grams chicken thigh meat or butternut squash for vegans.
- – 60 grams red curry paste
- – 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- – 600 Ml coconut milk
- – 30 grams palm sugar
- – 1 tablespoon fish sauce or mushroom sauce for vegans
- – 1 teaspoon salt
- – 160 grams butternut squash
- – 2 pieces Kaffir Lime leaf
- – 2 large chilli
- – Small bunch fresh Thai basil
Red Curry Paste:
- – 7 grams dry chilli remove seed and soak in water until soft
- – 3 grams salt
- – 1 gram white pepper powder
- – 10 grams lemon grass
- – 4 grams galangal
- – 2 grams kaffir lime
Method for the vegan red curry paste
- Add all the ingredients in a blender or hand Mortar.
- Grind to a smooth paste.
- Cook the curry paste in a pan with the oil until you can smell aroma then add several tablespoons of coconut milk to Form a smooth paste.
- Add the chicken (if using) to seal in the paste then add the remaining coconut milk, squash and season with the sugar salt and Fish sauce.
- Cook until chicken (of using) is done then garnish with the Thai Basil and sliced chilli.
Red Thai Curry paste
Ingredients -serves 2:
- – 30 grams dried red chilli
- – 10 grams small birds eye chilli
- – 40 grams galangal
- – 40 grams lemon grass
- – 40 grams shallots
- – 40 grams garlic
- – 10 grams Kaffir lime leaf
- – 10 grams shrimp paste
- – 150 ml water
- Blend all the ingredients.
Pad Thai with prawns
Ingredients -serves 2:
- – Clear noodles 300 grams
- – Prawns 30 grams
- – Bean curd
- – Egg 2
- – Beansprout 50 grams
- – Spring onion 50 grams
- – Peanuts half cup
- – Sugar 3 tablespoon
- – Garlic 1 tablespoon
- – Tamarind 3 tablespoon
- – Fish sauce 2 tablespoon
- – Cooking oil 4 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a wok add the garlic and fry till golden brown taking care not to burn.
- When you can smell the aroma add the noodles stir fry for 1 minute and add a little water to soften.
- Add the prawns with the fish sauce, tamarind, sugar and beancurd, stir fry for 1 minute keeping the noodles as separate as possible.
- Scoop the noodles to one side of the wok and add a little oil with 1 egg and scramble the egg until set. Now mix all the noodles and egg together with bean sprout peanut and a little chilli to spice up the taste if you wish.
- Serve hot with a side dish of spring onion beansprout and a slice of lemon.
Sweet & Sour Mixed Vegetables
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 150 grams Mixed seasonal vegetables
- – 50 grams cucumber cut into short strips
- – 1 red pepper cut into small chunks
- – 1 tomato cut into 4
- – 2 spring onion
- – 1 teaspoon sugar optional
- – 1-2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- – 1-2 tablespoon soy sauce
- – 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- – 1-2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Heat the oil brown the garlic.
- Add the mixed seasonal vegetables stir-fry to soften.
- Add red pepper tomato stir fry 1-2 minutes season with soy sauce and ketchup.
- Sugar optional.
- Add the cucumber and spring onion at last minute.
- Looking for a sweet sour tangy taste.
- Tip you can add some fresh pineapple to give a bit of zing.
Food Sorcery Coconut Rice
Ingredients – Serves 4-6:
This uses as whole can of coconut milk
- – 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- – 400 ml water
- – Salt – 1 tablespoon
- – Sugar – 3 tablespoon
- – Pandan Leaf (if you find, use lemon grass or ginger)
- – Rice – 450g Jasmine Rice (Thai fragrant rice)
- Save half the coconut milk, and pour the remaining milk into a measuring jug. Dilute the coconut milk with water so you have 600ml total.
- Put the diluted milk into a pan with the sugar, salt and pandan leaf, stir to dissolve the sugar then bring to the boil. If you don’t dissolve the sugar, it will burn on the bottom.
- While coming to boil, rinse the rice in cold water in a sieve.
- Add the rice to the boiling milk, cover with lid and reduce temperature to low.
- After 5 minutes add the set aside coconut milk
- Stir occasionally, you don’t want it to stick to the bottom – it will take about 15 minutes to cook and the rice will be soft and dry. Remove from heat and allow to rest.