Katsu is the go to menu option of every under 12, and frankly it’s great – posh chicken nuggets with chip shop curry sauce… what’s not to like.
Ingredients -serves 4:
- 12 chicken mini fillets
- 2tbsp of cornflour
- 250g breadcrumbs
- Rapeseed oil for frying
For Coconut Curry Sauce:
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2cloves of garlic
- 3cm of ginger, grated
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 1tsp of mild curry powder
- 400ml of veg stock
- Salt and pepper
- 100ml of coconut cream
For the Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan, add onion, garlic, ginger and spices, fry for a couple of minutes, add carrot, fry for additional two minutes. Pour in the veg stock, boil for about 20 minutes, season well and finish with coconut cream, blend if you prefer smooth sauce.
For the chicken:
- In a bowl, mix the cornflour with 4 tbsp water and some seasoning. Dip the chicken into the flour mixture. Place the breadcrumbs in another bowl and dip the chicken or tofu in it, turning until well coated.
- Fry in rapeseed oil until golden brown and cooked through
Stir-Fried Red Rice
- 300g of red or black rice, boiled
- 1tbsp of oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Soy sauce to season (tamari)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add onion and fry until translucent. Add the rest of your ingredients and serve straight away.
- Toppings/garnishes – Serve with some toasted cashews, chopped chillies and some extra chopped coriander.
So popular, but surprisingly easy after a couple of practice runs!
For Sushi Rolls -Ingredients
- 6 Nori seaweed warps
- 2 cups Sushi rice
- 1 Red, Orange, and Yellow bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 Carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 Mango, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Avocado, sliced into thin strips
- 1 Cucumber, sliced into thin strips
- 1/2 cup shredded Purple Cabbage
- 1/2 cup Cooked Beets, sliced into thin strips (I bought mine pre-cooked at the grocery store!)
- 6tbsp Cream cheese
To serve – Pickled Ginger, Wasabi paste or making a simple dipping sauce with soy sauce, honey and chilli flakes!
You do need a rolling mat, they are widely available (online or in store) We cover these in cling film to assist the cleaning process.
- Combine the 2 cups uncooked sushi rice with 4 cups water.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and allow to simmer on low for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes turn off the heat and allow to sit for another 10 minutes – DO NOT TAKE OFF THE LID!
- Meanwhile, prepare the rest of the ingredients by slicing them as thin as you can (save the beet for last because it will dye everything).
- When the rice is done cooking, stir in the rice vinegar and place it in a bowl to cool down slightly.
- Place a nori sheet on to the bamboo rolling mat (make sure that the pieces of bamboo are horizontal so you can roll it).
- Wet your hands in a bowl of warm water and place a small amount of rice on the nori and pat it into a thin layer to cover the nori. You want a continuous and even layer rice while still keeping it thin.
- Add your fillings in a line about 1/3 of the way from the bottom of the nori roll.
- Start to roll the bamboo/nori up – they will roll kind of like cinnamon rolls, but make sure to keep the bamboo mat on the outside and don’t add it into your roll. As you roll, squeeze and compress the bamboo mat to compress and tighten the roll.
- When complete, remove the bamboo mat and slice into coins with a super sharp knife.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Caramelised Banana Split
- 2 bananas
- 300mls cream
- 20g sugar
- Ice cream
- Blueberries 30g
- Raspberry’s 30g
- Strawberries 60g
- Peel and half bananas length ways
- Dust in sugar
- Wash and half all berries
- Semi whip cream
- In a hot pan place sugar dusted bananas flat side down until golden and remove to cool
- Arrange bananas on a plate layering with cream and fruit
- Ball ice cream and place on the top
- Shave chocolate or smash your Malteasers over and dig in