We really hope you enjoyed your cooking together evening at Food Sorcery, if you have any questions for chef please get in touch and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
We made: Crispy Poached Egg, Charred Asparagus, Hollandaise – Rosemary and Lemon Chicken, Tacos, Elotes, Charred Tender stem Broccoli – Lemon posset
Crispy Poached Egg
- 2 large eggs, one whole, one beaten
- 100ml distilled vinegar
- 100g flour
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 20g grated parmesan
- 1 lemon zested
- Vegetable oil, enough to deep-fry (depends on a size of your pan)
- Pour water into a small pan, bring to simmer and add vinegar.
- Crack one of the eggs into a ramekin and pour into simmering vinegary water.
- Have a slotted spoon ready alongside with a bowl of iced water.
- Cook the egg roughly for 3.5 minutes, lift it with slotted spoon and cool it down in the iced water.
- Meanwhile, zest the lemon into your breadcrumbs and add parmesan.
- When the egg is completely cool, dry it on j-cloth and dip into flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs.
- Fry the coated egg on medium heat until crispy.
Prepare the Dough for Tacos
Makes about 16 small tacos – we will make about 8 during the class, you can save the remaining dough in a bowl covered in cling film or roll the ball of dough in cling.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- . 300g plain or 00 flour – plus extra for dusting
- . teaspoon of olive oil
- . 200ml water
- 1. Add the flour, olive oil & 200ml water to the mixing bowl, stir all together using a wooden spoon…once it all combines, take the dough with your hand until it becomes a springy dough. If your dough is too sticky, add a little more flour..if too crumbly, add a little more water.
- 2. Set Aside – it doesn’t need to rest for long, but you can wait until you need to cook. Then split into 3 – you will make your tacos, burritos and quesadilla later.
Tacos – split dough into 8 balls, heat frying pan to high heat, while the temperature builds, sprinkle flour on clean work surface or board, and some on your rolling pin. Take a ball of dough, flatten into rough circle with your hand then roll until thin, keep turning and flipping over. Add 2 -3 tacos to your pan at a time and cook until you see the taco blister and char. Once both sides cooked, keep wrapped in tea towel – this softens the taco. Cook all your tacos and then you are ready to serve.
Burrito & Quesadilla – split dough into 2, roll out to desired size and cook as above. Cover and set aside.
Rosemary and Lemon Chicken
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 2 chicken breasts, butterflied
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 zest of lemon
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- 2tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Crush and mince the garlic, chopped rosemary and add all the ingredients apart from chicken into a mixing bowl. Toss in butterflied chicken and let marinade up to 48hrs.
- Cook on charcoal.
Elote (Mexican Grilled Corn)
Traditionally this dish is made with parmesan, butter and olive oil. However this healthier version skips the butter and oil, the parmesan can be replaced with some crumbled feta which we think works well. If you are worried about the corns sticking to the pan, you can use a little coconut oil to grease the cobs.
Ingredients – Serves 2
- . 2 corn on the cob
- . ½ teaspoon chilli flakes
- . Sprinkle of coriander
- . Tablespoon grated parmesan
- . 1/2 lime, cut into 4 wedges
- 1.Heat your frying pan to high heat and then using tongs, turn occasionally until cooked through.
- 2. Serve on the plates with a squeeze of lime and a sprinkle of parmesan and coriander and chilli flakes.
Italian Lemon Posset
This is an Italian classic, and is great for a dinner party – as it can be made in the morning.
You could crush up biscuits of your choice and put in the bottom of the glass. A classic Italian version would be an amaretti and serve a glass of amaretto on the side!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- · 300ml of double cream
- · 60g caster sugar
- · 1 juicy lemon
- 1. Squeeze the lemon
- 2. Bring the cream and sugar to the boil (careful it should just boil but not boil over). Once you see it boil – stay there and boil for exactly 3 minutes.
- 3. Take the pan off the heat and whisk in the lemon juice
- 4. Strain this into a jug and leave to cool for 20minutes.
- 5. If you wish to put a crumbled biscuit in the bottom of the receptacle – this is the time to do it. If not gently pour the cream into the glasses.
- 6. Refrigerate for 6 hours minimum.
- Serve with fruit and edible flowers