Cooking Together Pan Asian Recipes
Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your class and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
- Starter: Saigon Prawn, Mango Salad
- Main: Lime Caramel Chicken (or Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower)
- Dessert: Click here for a link to the Food Sorcery favourites
Saigon Prawn, Mango Salad – Starter
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 6 poached king prawns – Recipe Below
- – 400 grams mango or pomelo (pomelo are very seasonal, but if you find one, this is great)
- – 40 grams carrot, Julien
- – 20 grams sliced onion
- – Fresh mint, sliced
- – Thai basil, sliced
- – 3 tablespoon toasted crushed peanut
- – 3 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- – 2 tablespoon crispy shallots
- – large red chilli
- – 1 clove garlic, crushed together roughly
- – 1 tablespoon sugar
- – 1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- – 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- – 2 tsp water
- To make the salad dressing, crush the large red chilli and garlic together in a blender or pestle and mortar.
- Then in a mixing bowl mix the sugar, fish sauce, lime juice and water with the crushed chilli and garlic.
- Then slice the birds eye chilli and add to your mixture before setting your dressing aside.
- Mix your poached prawns with your diced mango, carrot and onion. Then add to with the dressing.
- Add the sliced fresh mint, sliced basil, crushed peanut, sesame seed and crispy shallots and some sliced chilli.
- Mix together and then transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh mint
How to poach Prawns
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- 500g King Prawns
- 2 ½ cups of water
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3 sprigs of fresh parsley
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lemon
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pot, over medium-high heat, add water, black peppercorns, fresh parsley, lemon juice, lemon halves, Kosher salt, and bay leaf.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil.
- Add the shrimp to the water. Remove the pot from the heat and cover with a lid.
- Let the shrimp poach in the liquid about 5 minutes. Shrimp will be cooked through and pink in color.
- While the shrimp poaches, prepare a large bowl of ice water. Set aside.
- Use a wire mesh strainer or slotted spoon to remove the shrimp to the bowl of ice water.
- Let shrimp cool for about 10 minutes before removing from the ice bath with a slotted spoon.
For the Rice
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 300g of red or black rice, boiled and cooled – allow to dry in a sieve or colander
- 1tbsp of oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Soy sauce to season (tamari)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 egg
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add onion and fry until translucent. Add the rice, and vegetables, and once warm, push to one side of the pan and break in your egg. Scramble the egg quickly and mix through the rice. Serve straight away.
Toppings/garnishes – Serve with some toasted cashews, chopped chillies and some extra chopped coriander.
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs or 160g Tofu, 160g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 20g brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (optional) (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodle4
Use the link above to explore the Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes