Cooking Together Vietnamese Recipes
Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your evening and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
- Starter: Saigon Prawn, Mango Salad
- Main Dishes: Lime Caramel Chicken (Or Prawn/Tofu)
- Dessert: Click here for a link to the Food Sorcery favourites
Saigon Prawn, Mango Salad – Starter
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 5 cooked king prawns
- – 400 grams mango or pomelo (pomelo are very seasonal, but if you find one, this is great)
- – 40 grams carrot, Julien
- – 20 grams sliced onion
- – Fresh mint, sliced
- – Thai basil, sliced
- – 3 tablespoon toasted crushed peanut
- – 3 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- – 2 tablespoon crispy shallots
- – large red chilli
- – 1 clove garlic, crushed together roughly
- – 1 tablespoon sugar
- – 1 ½ tablespoon fish sauce
- – 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- – 2 tsp water
- Crush the large red chilli and garlic.
- Add the sugar fish sauce lime juice and water.
- Add the sliced birds eye chilli.
- Set aside.
- Mix all the prawn mango carrot onion with the dressing in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced fresh mint and sliced basil crushed peanut sesame seed and crispy shallots and some sliced chilli.
- Mix together and then transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh mint
For the Rice
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 300g of red or black rice, boiled and cooled – allow to dry in a sieve or colander
- 1tbsp of oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Soy sauce to season (tamari)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- 1 egg
Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add onion and fry until translucent. Add the rice, and vegetables, and once warm, push to one side of the pan and break in your egg. Scramble the egg quickly and mix through the rice. Serve straight away.
Toppings/garnishes – Serve with some toasted cashews, chopped chillies and some extra chopped coriander.
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs or 160g Tofu, 160g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (optional) (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodle4
Use the link above to explore the Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes