Cooking Together Vietnamese Recipes
Our cooking together cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your evening and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
- Starter: Saigon Salad, Cha Gao Spring Rolls
- Main: Lime and Caramel Chicken, Chow Mein Noodles
- Dessert: Click here for a link to the Food Sorcery favourites
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- – 150g grams mango or pomelo (pomelo are very seasonal, but if you find one, this is great)
- – 40 grams carrot, Julien
- – ½ cucumber, diced
- – 2x red radish, sliced
- – 20 grams sliced onion
- – Fresh mint, sliced
- – Thai basil, sliced
- – 3 tablespoons toasted crushed peanut
- – 3 tablespoon sesame seed, toasted
- – 2 tablespoons crispy shallots
- – large red chilli
- – 1 clove garlic, crushed together roughly
- – 1 tablespoon sugar
- – 1 ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- – 1 ½ tablespoon lime juice
- – 2 tsp water
- Crush the large red chilli and garlic.
- Add the sugar fish sauce lime juice and water.
- Add the sliced birds eye chilli.
- Set aside.
- Mix all the prawn mango carrot onion with the dressing in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sliced fresh mint and sliced basil crushed peanut sesame seed and crispy shallots and some sliced chilli.
- Mix together and then transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with fresh mint
Cha Gao-Vietnamese Spring Roll
Ingredients – Makes 10 Rolls:
- – 100g julienned/batons carrot. Very fine strips
- 100g of vegetable protein (we used seasoned mushroom protein strips)
- – 200g Shredded Chinese leaf/white cabbage.
- – 60g Beansprouts.
- – 200g finely sliced straw mushroom/fresh shitake mushroom or handful of dried black fungus/dried shitake.
- – ½ tbs veg stock powder.
- – 1 tbsp oyster sauce/ vegan oyster sauce or mushroom stir fry sauce.
- – 1 tbs light soy.
- – 1/2 tablespoon dark soy
- – 1.5 tbsp sesame oil.
- – ½ tbs salt.
- – ½ tbs pepper.
- – Potato starch (or corn starch)
- – 1tbs Plain flour and Water to make a glue.
- – Spring roll pastry.
- – Garlic to your preference don’t overpower.
- – Chillies are optional to taste.
- Fry the mushrooms with the salt, pepper and sugar for a couple of minutes
- Add all other vegetables and mix – then fry for additional 2 minutes
- Add stock powder, soy and oyster sauce and sesame oil. You are looking for the mixture to dry out. When nearly all liquid is absorbed add the starch and stir through to get a shine. Allow to cool
- Cut your spring roll sheet diagonally to make 2 triangles, position one with point towards you.
- Add spoon of cooled filling in the centre of the triangle, press down to compress. Size to suit you but be consistent. Take the point and roll away from you. Fold in the corners and seal with the glue. Repeat with the parcel you have just made in the other triangle and make a tidy spring roll. Set aside
- Shallow fry for about 8 minutes turning
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs or 160g Tofu, 160g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (optional) (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodle4
Use the link above to explore the Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes