Tortellini – Lime Caramel Fish Recipes
We hope you enjoyed your event and are ready to recreate the meals you made at home.
- Starter: Squash and Mozzarella Tortellini with Creamy Sage Sauce.
- Main: Lime Caramel Fish
- Dessert: Choose from the Food Sorcery favourites on the link below.
- 2 large eggs
- 200g of 00 flour, plus extra for dusting
- Place 180g of the 00 flour onto a large wooden board. Pour the remaining 20g of flour into a small bowl, ready to use if necessary.
- Shape the flour into a volcano with a large hole in the centre, then crack the eggs and pour them into the middle.
- Using a fork, lightly beat the eggs, then mix in the flour a little at time. It is essential that the flour is gradually beaten into the eggs to ensure the walls of the volcano don’t break too soon. Add the reserved 20g of flour if the dough is too moist.
- Bring the mixture together with a spatula and your hands until you obtain a consistent ball of dough.
- Work the dough with the heel of your hand for 10–15 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth and very elastic. Wrap the dough in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust a wooden board with 1 tbsp of flour. Unwrap the dough and flatten it with a rolling pin. Roll out the dough into thin pasta sheets, less than 1mm thick.
- If you have a pasta machine, divide the dough into 4 before rolling it out. Flatten it to a rough square so that it fits through the machine at its highest setting. Roll it through & fold it back over it to itself. Rotate it through 90 degrees and repeat this a few times. This releases the gluten which increases the elasticity of the dough and stops it cracking & tearing. Now reduce the thickness of the machine 1 click at a time until you reach the 2ndlast setting.
Butternut Squash and mozzarella Tortellini – Starter
Ingredients – Serves 4:
For the Filling:
- 1 small butternut squash
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 medium shallot, roughly chopped (scant ½ cup)
- 1 bulb of mozzarella, shredded
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup loose-packed fresh sage
- 1 Recipe Homemade Pasta
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For serving and sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 10 sage leaves
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 cups of double cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup Roasted Butternut Squash cubes, optional
- ½ bunch Sauteed Kale, optional
- Grated pecorino cheese, optional
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roast the squash. Cut the squash in half vertically and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and pinches of salt and pepper and place cut side down on the baking sheet. Prick the skin several times with a fork and roast for 40 minutes.
- Make the pasta dough according to this recipe. Wrap the dough ball in plastic wrap and set it aside to rest while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: Add the diced shallot, pureed garlic, squash, mozzarella and seasoning to a mixing bowl.
- Roll out the pasta dough into a long sheet, pushing it through the pasta machine twice on each setting, starting on the thickest and going down to number 2. Spread the 4 pasta sheets on a well-floured work surface. Cut with a round metal cutter, use a 1tsp to portion to scoop the filling onto the circles of pasta. Stick edges of the pasta circles together and twist around your fingers to shape tortellini.Cook the tortellini in a pot of salted boiling water for 4 minutes. I like to drop them into the water as I’m ready to start my sauce so that they’re done around the same time.
- Make the sauce. Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and sage and cook for 3 minutes. Add the wine, thyme, and salt and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the double cream and cook until thicker.
- Spoon the sauce over the tortellini add freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. Add the roasted butternut squash cubes, sautéed kale, and grated pecorino, if desired.
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 4 chicken thighs or 160g Tofu, 160g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (optional) (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- Pinch white pepper (optional)
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodle4
Use the link above to explore the Food Sorcery favourite dessert recipes