We hope you enjoyed your cooking together class with us, below are the recipes – if you have any questions for chef please do ask and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
Vietnamese Summer Rolls; Caramel Coconut Chicken; Stir-Fried Rice; Lime Slaw
Vietnamese Summer Rolls
Ingredients – Makes 10:
- – 4oz bean thread noodles (cellophane or transparent noodles)
- – 10×8′-9′ rice wrappers
- – 150g Shredded beef (optional)
- – Handful of fresh basil leaves
- – handful fresh cilantro leaves plus 1 tablespoon chopped
- – handful fresh mint leaves
- – 100g daikon
- – 1x cucumber, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- – 1 carrot, cut into matchstick-size pieces
- – 10 small green or red lettuce leaves (baby gem)
- – 100ml fresh lime juice
- – 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- – 2 tbsp sweet chilli
- – 3 tablespoons sugar
- – 2 fresh red Thai chiles or 1 red jalapeño or Fresno chile, thinly sliced
- – 2 spring onion, sliced
- Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl – Do Ahead – Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- Put noodles in a large bowl. Pour enough hot water over to cover; let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain. Transfer to a large bowl of ice water to cool; drain and set aside.
- Fill a bowl with warm water. Working with 1 rice paper round at a time, soak rice paper in water, turning occasionally, until just pliable but not limp, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a work surface. Arrange pinch of beef halves across canter of round. Top with some leaves of each herb, then daikon cucumber, and carrot. Arrange a small handful of noodles over. Place 1 lettuce leaf over, torn or folded to fit. Fold bottom of rice paper over filling, then fold in ends and roll like a burrito into a tight cylinder. Transfer roll, seam side down, to a platter. Repeat to make 10 more rolls – Do Ahead – Can be made 1 hour ahead. Cover with a damp kitchen towel and refrigerate.
- To serve, cut rolls in half on diagonal. Add chopped cilantro to dipping sauce.
Caramel Lime Chicken, fish, Tofu or Cauliflower – Main
Ingredients – Serves 2
- 2 chicken thighs or 200g Tofu, 200g of Hake or any white fish/salmon
- 2 Cauliflower steaks – pre steamed for 6 mins to soften
- 1 small disk palm sugar or 50g brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Nam Pla fermented fish water (use Vegan version or oyster sauce for Vegetarian/Vegan)
- 1 tbsp water
- 200g 1/2 a tin coconut milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp rice vinegar (optional)
- 1 garlic clove grated
- Grated to ginger to taste
- 1 shallot finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced
- Coriander, chopped
- Lime juice and zest
- Place sugar and water in a skillet over medium heat. Stir, then when it bubbles and the sugar is melted (it looks like caramel), add the rest of the ingredients except chicken.
- Stir, then put the Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower into the pan
- Adjust the heat to medium so it is simmering energetically. Not rapidly, not a slow simmer.
- Pan frying time for Chicken/Fish 5 mins each side, for Tofu & pre steamed Cauliflower 3-4 mins each side.
- Once sauce and Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower are brown, remove from heat. Grate some lime zest into the pan and then roll and squeeze in lime juice.
- Place Chicken/Fish/Tofu/Cauliflower on serving plates, spoon over the sauce.
- Garnish with spring onion, chilli, coriander and lime juice and zest if using. Can be served with rice or noodles
- – 300g of red or black rice, boiled
- – 1tbsp of oil
- – 2 spring onions, chopped
- – 1 red onion, sliced
- – Handful of chopped coriander
- – Soy sauce to season (tamari)
- – 1 lime, juice and zest
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add onion and fry until translucent. Add the rest of your ingredients and serve straight away.
- Toppings/garnishes: Serve with some toasted cashews, chopped chillies and some extra chopped coriander.
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 1x lime zest and juice
- – 1 tsp of caster sugar
- – 3 tbsp of olive oil
- – 1x handful of chopped coriander
- – ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- – ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- – 1 carrot, grated
- – 1x shallot, sliced
- – 1 green chilli, sliced
- – 1tbsp of Asian mayo (optional)
- In a bowl, combine sugar, lime zest and juice. Whisk until well combined and sugar has melted.
- Start stirring in the oil, gradually, still whisking.
- Add white and red cabbage, pinch of salt and pepper and roughly rub the marinade in.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and correct the seasoning.
- We could use a tbsp. of mayonnaise or yoghurt for a creamy version of the slaw.
Take a Look at our cookery classes. Gift vouchers are available and never expire.