Great at soaking up flavours, aubergine (also known as eggplant) works well in stews, salads and curries. Although it’s technically a fruit – a berry, to be exact, the aubergine is used as a vegetable.
This colourful aubergine stack will brighten your day, the tasty caper berries add a crunchy texture and along with the olives creates a wonderful Mediterranean flavour.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 2 large aubergines -sliced lengthways thinly
- 1 thinly diced red onion
- 2 courgettes thinly diced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped black olives
- 1 tablespoon of caper berries
- 2 tablespoons of pine nuts
- 1 fennel bulb
- 125ml tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic bulbs
- 1tablespoon of tomato purée
- 10 fresh basil leaves large
- Teaspoon of sugar
- Salt pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Place the aubergine strips in a tray sprinkle with sea salt -leave for 10 minutes.
- In a fry pan add olive oil heat up add the chopped onion garlic fennel Courgette cook for 10 minutes – now add the pine nuts, rest of tomatoes caper berries -simmer for 10 minutes – season taste.
- In a saucepan put 3 quarters of the tin tomato with the sugar and sea salt pepper, plus two basil leaves – simmer for 10 minutes and strain which makes the sauce lovely and shiny.
- Brush 4 ramekins with olive oil line each with the aubergine strips – make sure they overlap -now fill with the vegetable mix, press down firmly – cover with the overlapped aubergine -drizzle with oil and place in roasting tray.
- Add hot water to just come up to the sides -cover with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes on 180*C
- Be careful remove from oven uncover -take ramekins from tray – rest for 2 minutes
- Turn each ramekin onto a large plate – circle each with tomato sauce – dress with basil leaves.
Almost as important as the taste of the food, making it look nice will make your taste buds happy before you even begin. Swoosh the tomato sauce with the back of a spoon to make your dish look really cheffy – add basil leaves as a garnish.
Watch the video to see how to make an aubergine stack
Take a look at our classes online, booking is easy and you’ll be sent a confirmation email. Cookery gift vouchers are available and never expire.