Chickpeas are high in protein and make an excellent replacement for meat in vegetarian and vegan diets. This is a vegan beetroot falafel recipe, simple and delicious.
There are many different ways to add chickpeas to your vegan diet, here we have combined them with beetroot to make a delicious Middle Eastern flavoured falafel. We shaped them into patties to make them easier to cook, you can keep them round and more traditional if you prefer.
We served them with a cauliflower buffalo salad – click here for the recipe
Ingredients – Makes 6 small patties
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 125g tin chickpeas drained and mashed
- 2 small, cooked beetroots
- Fresh chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons of vegan Oatly yoghurt or tahini
- 2 tablespoons of chickpea flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
- Add finely chopped onions, crushed garlic, squeeze lemon juice, finely chopped parsley, mashed chickpeas and diced beetroot – add all to a bowl, season and mash.
- Add the tahini or oatly yoghurt
- Add the chickpea flour to make a firm consistency
- Split into balls with damp fingers and press flat
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan and fry each side for 2 minutes.
- Serve with buffalo cauliflower salad and pomegranate seeds
If you prefer a smoother texture blitz all ingredients in a food processor to make a smooth paste.
Almost as important as the taste of the food, making it look nice will make your taste buds happy before you even begin. these additional ingredients will make the plate look great.
- A few cauliflower florets
- Tablespoon of pomegranate seeds
- Tablespoon of pine nuts
- Handful of green leaves or baby spinach
Watch the video to see how to make beetroot falafels
Take a look at our classes online, booking is easy and you’ll be sent a confirmation email. Cookery gift vouchers are available and never expire.