Our cookery classes are as much about learning to cook as they are a sociable experience. We hope you enjoyed your evening and are ready to recreate the meals at home. The recipes work really well as delicious dinners and make a great combination for dinner party ideas.
Keralan Curry; Ajwaini Tofu; Gunpowder Potatoes; Roti Flatbread
Keralan Vegan Curry
Ingredients serves 2
- – ½ tbsp of Ground Coriander
- – 1 pinch of Turmeric Powder
- – ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- – 2 Small Shallots
- – 2 tbsp of Oil
- – ¼ tsp Chilli Powder
- – ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- – 1 pinch of Fenugreek Seeds
- – 1 Green Chilli, slit
- – 4-5 Curry Leaves
- – 1 Onion, chopped
- – ½ tsp Ginger, grated
- – 6 Garlic Cloves, peeled and finely sliced
- – ½ tsp Tamarind Paste, or Gambooge if you can find it
- – 300ml of Coconut Milk
- – Salt, to taste
- Any vegetables you like- we used spinach, green beans courgettes
- Grind together the coriander, chilli, turmeric and pepper powders along with the English shallots to a coarse paste. Keep aside
- Heat the oil in a wok, add the mustard seeds and wait for them to splutter
- Add the fenugreek seeds followed by green chilli, curry leaves and onions. Sauté until the onions turn a light brown
- Throw in the ginger and garlic and continue cooking until the raw smell disappears, say about 2–3 minutes
- In goes the ground masala paste. Keep cooking on medium-low heat until the heady aroma of the paste rises. Be careful not to burn the mix, and if you feel it’s charring, then add a teaspoon or so of water and keep stirring at intervals
- Stir in the tamarind paste and coconut milk. Season with salt and bring to a gentle boil
- You could add your veggies in now, don’t forget that every time of veg has a different cooking time, add accordingly
- Once the gravy becomes thick, remove the curry from the heat and serve hot with some rice and our sweet potato roti
Ajwanini Crispy Tofu
Ingredients – Serves 2:
- – 300g of firm tofu, cut into pieces 2x
- – 2 tsp Corn flour
- – Salt and pepper to taste
- – 2 tsp Ajwain (ground carom seeds)
- – 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- – 100ml Sparkling water
- – 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
- – 1/2 tsp Onion powder
- – Vegetable oil for frying
- – 1/2 tsp Chilli sauce or 1 tbsp of Korean chilli paste Gochujang
- – 2 tbsp Chopped tomatoes
- – 3 tsp Vinegar white
- – 1x Palm sugar
- – 2x Curry leaves
- – 2cm Grated ginger
- – 1x Green chilli
- – 2 cloves of Garlic
- – 1x small Shallot
- – 1 tbsp of vegan yoghurt to finish if the sauce is too strong for you
- – 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- – Seasoning
- Mix the tofu with cornflour, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, toasted carom seeds and coat well. Add sparkling water, tablespoon at time until your tofu is coated with thick batter.
- Deep-fry until crispy, golden and cooked through.
- Fry onion, garlic, ginger, green chilli, ginger, chopped lemongrass and curry leaves in veg oil for two minutes.
- Add vinegar and sugar, reduce by half.
- Finish with chopped tomatoes, chilli sauce and yoghurt. Bring back to boil.
- You could add some veg to your sauce such as spinach, roasted cauliflower, courgette, sun blushed tomatoes etc etc
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
Ingredients – Serves 4:
- – 500g Baby New Potatoes
- – ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- – ½ tsp Coriander Seeds
- – ½ tsp Fennel Seeds
- – 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil, for brushing
- – 25g Butter, melted
- – 6 Spring Onions, finely chopped
- – 5g Fresh Coriander Leaves, finely chopped
- – 3 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- – ½ tsp Sea Salt Flakes
- – 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- – 1-2 tsp Kebab Masala
- You’ll also need…
- – Pestle and mortar
- Boil a large pan of salted water. Add the potatoes and cook until just tender – 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast all the seeds in a hot dry frying pan for 2 minutes until fragrant. Crush them in a pestle and mortar, then set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and steam dry in the colander for a minute.
- Heat the grill to high. Put the potatoes on a baking tray. Brush with oil and grill until crispy and browned – 5-7 minutes. Turn the potatoes over and repeat to
crisp and colour the other side.
- Put the crushed spices in a large bowl with the melted butter, spring onions, coriander and chillies.
- Remove the potatoes from the grill and divide each one in half, using a metal spoon so you create rough edges. Put the potatoes straight into the spice bowl and toss until well combined.
- Add the sea salt, lime juice and kebab masala, adjusting them to taste, then serve.
Sweet Potato Roti Flatbread
Ingredients – Makes 6:
- – 1 cup sweet potatoes, cooked
- – 2 cups of self-raising flour (have some more just in case)
- – Seasoning
- – Optional dry herbs, garlic or onion powder, spices etc
- Mix all ingredients above in a mixing bowl. Make sticky dough, wrap in cling film, let rest in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Flour your bench and roll until thin.
- Cook for 1 minute on each side in a hot non-stick frying pan, without any oil.