This recipe was created by Jan Cron for our Fit Food Japanese flavours class, it’s packed full of rainbow superfoods and makes a great snack or light meal.
Ingredients – serves 5
5x nori wraps
2 cups of quinoa
1 rainbow beetroot
100g cream cheese
1. Cook the quinoa as usual with addition of 1 extra cup of water: rinse first, cook for 15 minutes with the lid on. Don’t peak, leave it alone, then, let it stand for 10 minutes. Make sure it’s cool completely before making sushi.
2. Meanwhile, cut the beetroot into very thin sticks, smash avocado and mix with lime in a bowl.
3. Prepare sushi mats by wrapping in cling film.
4. Layer quinoa evenly on the whole of the nori, leaving 1 inch on the top empty. Place beetroot, avocado and cream cheese in a line 5 inches from the bottom.
5. Roll your sushi and seal using cold water.
6. Carefully slice and serve with soy sauce, wasabi and ginger.
Jan Cron – Kitchen Maverick
Has spent a lifetime learning the best cooking techniques and perfecting flavours, if 70% of being healthy is what you eat and 30% exercise then we need to concentrate on getting the best balance of tasty food into our bodies. He’s gone back to school to learn about nutrition, to research relevant, irrelevant and utterly absurd diets, so you don’t have to.