These soft fluffy bread garlic rolls go perfectly with borscht as the garlic compliments the sweetness of the beetroot, however they make a great side for any soup or stew. Make the pillowy soft buns, and then top them with oil and freshly minced or grated raw garlic.
Ingredients – makes 8
FOR THE DOUGH
- 250 ml milk
- 2¼ tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 2 tbsp oil
- 380g strong bread flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
FOR THE GARLIC OIL
- 3 tbsp oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Sea salt (optional)
1. Warm the milk and put in a bowl, add the sugar to the milk, then sprinkle the yeast on top. Whisk then leave to activate 5-10 minutes. Once the yeast is activated, add the oil to the milk mixture, then add the flour and salt. Knead for 10-12 minutes by hand. The dough is done when it is elastic, glossy, soft, and easily comes away from the sides of the bowl/surface. Add the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, and cover with a clean damp kitchen towel. Let the dough rise for 1-1½ hours, or until doubled in size.
2. Once the dough has risen and doubled in size, punch it down to remove the air, and transfer it to a clean surface. Form the dough into a rectangle, and then divide it into 8 equal-sized pieces. Form each piece into a ball by pinching the edges inward, and then on a flat surface, roll the dough into a ball shape.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 9” round or square baking dish. Beat the egg for the egg wash. Place each ball of dough in the baking dish, with an equal distance between each ball. Allow the dough to rise a second time for 30 minutes, or until the rolls have puffed up and filled the pan. Brush the tops of the dough with the egg wash and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
4. While the rolls bake, make the garlic oil mixture. Finely mince or grate the garlic. Combine the oil, garlic, chopped dill, and chopped parsley together. Brush the garlic-herb mixture over the rolls immediately after they come out of the oven.
All our classes can be adapted to most allergies and preferences – just let us know in the notes when booking