Aubergine Katsu Curry with Stir-fried red rice recipe
This recipe was created by chef Jan Cron for our Vegan cookery classes Manchester, it’s a plant based take on a Japanaese favourite dish, it’s name is a shortened form of katsuretsu (カツレツ), meaning “cutlet”. the recipe is a healthy option using tasty ingredients packed full of nutrients and low in fats.
Ingredients – Serves 4
For the almond coated aubergine
- 1 aubergine, thinly sliced
- ½ cup of almond milk
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ cup of ground almonds
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- Blend the garlic, almond milk and seasoning and pour over the aubergine, let infuse for at least one hour.
- Take out, and dip into ground almonds.
- Heat a non-stick pan with oil in it and fry the aubergines from the both sides on medium heat until golden brown. For extra tender aubergine bake in the oven on low heat for extra 15 minutes.
For the coconut curry sauce
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot, peeled, grated
- 2tbsp of mild curry sauce
- 1tsp of turmeric
- 400ml of veg stock
- Salt and pepper
- 100ml of coconut cream
- Heat the oil in a small sauce pan, add onion, garlic and spices, fry for a couple of minutes, add carrot, fry for additional two minutes. Pour in the veg stock, boil for about 20 minutes, season well and finish with coconut cream.
For the rice
- 300g of red or black rice, boiled
- 1tbsp of oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Soy sauce to season (tamari)
- 1 lime, juice and zest
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan, add onion and fry until translucent. Add the rest of your ingredients and serve straight away.
Toppings/garnishes – Serve with some toasted cashews, chopped chillies and some extra chopped coriander.
Jan Cron – Kitchen Maverick
Has spent a lifetime learning the best cooking techniques and perfecting flavours, if 70% of being healthy is what you eat and 30% exercise then we need to concentrate on getting the best balance of tasty food into our bodies. He’s gone back to school to learn about nutrition, to research relevant, irrelevant and utterly absurd diets, so you don’t have to.
Fit Food Classes – click here for details
Food Sorcery Cookery & Barista School hosts hands-on fun filled cookery classes, team building and private dining events. We are adjacent to Waterside Hotel, Leisure & Spa.