We are often asked how to incorporate fermented food into dishes – this tasty dish is Chef Jan’s take on Kimchi egg fried rice or Kimchi Bokkeuum bap – it has a great taste and is really healthy and a firm favouite at the cookery school.
Ingredients – Serves 4
- 1tbsp of good quality oil
- 3 cups of cooked basmati rice
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 sliced red onion
- 2 chopped spring onions
- 1cup of kimchi (quick kimchi recipe)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1tbps soy sauce
- 1tsp fish sauce
- Handful of chopped coriander
- Heat wok and add oil, onion and garlic, fry for 2 minutes. Throw in kimchi, spring onion, soy sauce and fish sauce and warm up.
- Add rice, toss around, mix well with the rest of the ingredients-push on the one side of the pan.
- Scramble the eggs on the second half of the wok, until medium-cooked. Mix with the rice and finish with copped coriander.
- Add diced vegetables, meat or a fried egg on top!
Jan Cron – Kitchen Maverick
Has spent a lifetime learning the best cooking techniques and perfecting flavours, if 70% of being healthy is what you eat and 30% exercise then we need to concentrate on getting the best balance of tasty food into our bodies. He’s gone back to school to learn about nutrition, to research relevant, irrelevant and utterly absurd diets, so you don’t have to.